Monday, August 15, 2016

Mrs. G's Books of the Month

I am a huge reader and I try to encourage all my students to read as a part of their daily life. Every month I want to share an art book that really spoke to me as well as a few books in the young adult genre that they may be interested in!


Art Books:
Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards

My drawing classes are probably going to be sick and tired of me mentioning this book- but it is revolutionary. I remember struggling SO MUCH with drawing when I got to college. I felt like I had some great skills through high school but when I got to my first drawing class I was SO intimidated. I felt as if I was so much more below everyone else. I got incredibly frustrated and lost a lot of confidence.

One of my art professors handed me their personal copy of this book and it has changed the way I draw. It made me realize that drawing is not about how you draw something, but how you see and look at your subjects. We as people use our left side of our brain so much through the day but when it comes to receiving visual information, we need to tap into our right brain to get the full grasp on looking at something. This book breaks down exactly how to do that and gives us scientific studies on why it is true. An excellent read for anybody of any age wanting to learn how to draw better!
 

Young Adult Books:
Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
This is a young adult novel in a fantasy world that focuses on a series of thieves and criminals. They are binded together to pull off an incredible heist. This book is SO much fun. The characters are so witty, funny and unique from many other characters in books. They are all morally grey characters which makes them so much more interesting. The ACTION. THE ACTION. Yes there is action. The story is so fast paced and there are so many twists and turns. I could not put it down. This is an excellent book for anybody who likes heist stories like in Ocean's Eleven and Fast Five. This is something also that I think both boys and girls will equally like. LOVED IT!

Happy reading!

Mrs. Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment