Friday, September 19, 2014

Graffiti Final Projects

Our graffiti projects were due today!

During our unit we talked about various artists like Banksy, Basquiat and TAKI 183. The assignment was to create a "tag name" and create a graffiti style drawing of their signature. The requirements were that their name had to be at least 8 characters long and were encouraged to use numbers and symbols (though some of them just used their name). They also had to color their letters at least 3 different colors and were required to do a "ripple design" background. However, I saw some of my students making their own backgrounds and after seeing how creative they got, I let them kind of take of with it.

Ok, I am seriously BLOWN AWAY at these graffiti projects! They came out FANTASTIC!

I literally stared at some of them for up to 5 minutes before writing their grade on their rubric. I was honestly left speechless during my grading process. Usually with my batch of projects, most of them are decent, with a handful of 'WOW" ones....NOT THIS TIME. AT LEAST HALF OF THEM WERE AMAZING.

Moments like this is when I am reminded why I got into this field of work. I love art SO MUCH. It's very discouraging sometimes when no matter what you do, you just can't get your students to see how wonderful art really is. And then there are these moments where they just absolutely surprise you by how creative and talented they are. And several of these came from students who said "I just can't draw". YES THEY CAN!

And with this school specifically, with such a large ELL population, watching my non-English speaking students create something so striking and being so proud of it. And watching the look on their faces when I tell them how AMAZING their art work looks... it's just awesome. I'm so thankful for my job, this school and for my students.
















No comments:

Post a Comment